Marta reads slowly — under 80 words per minute. Because of this, she gets information slowly. And she doesn’t really enjoy reading as much as other English learners. But here is the good news.
English learners like Marta can improve their reading speed with practice. How? They can do Speed Reading Courses like the ones at ReadOasis. Here are some speed reading tips for doing a speed reading course at ReadOasis.com.
- Start with Speed Read Step 1. Read each story in the course.
- For each story, click the “Start Timer” when you start to read.
- Click “I read this story. Honestly!” when finished.
- *Note your reading speed on the yellow pop-up.
- Then take the quiz.
For practicing reading speed, readers need to know about 100% of the words in a story. You can’t improve speed with words you don’t know. When you take the quiz, don’t look back at the story. You want to make sure that you understood, so try to get a good score (80-100%) on the quiz!
When you finish Speed Read Step 1, then try Speed Read Step 2!
- *Note: On a PC, you can export your reading speed data to a spreadsheet, or your teacher can show it to you.
- You can also keep track in your own notebook, or on the printable PDFs below.