At ReadOasis.com, we grade stories into levels. What level is good for you? You need to know 95%-98% of the words in a story. Then you can understand and enjoy the story. At this level, you don’t need a dictionary. And you can learn new words just by reading.
We use two grading systems. We use the British National Corpus (BNC) for grading vocabulary.
- Step 1: 95% of the words come from the BNC 1000 words.
- Step 2: 95% of the words come from the BNC 1000-2000 words.
- Step 3: 95% of the words come from the BNC 1000-3000 words.
- Step 4: 95% of the words come from the BNC 1000-4000 words.
- Step 5: 95% of the words come from the BNC 1000-5000 words.
We also use the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Learners and teachers around the world know CEFR. This helps teachers and students choose stories at the right level for reading.
We use a modified version of CEFR with 10 levels. Using TextInspector, we grade stories at these levels:
- A1-Basic — A1 & A1+
- A2-Beginner+ — A2
- A3-Beginner++ — A2+
- B1-Intermediate — B1 & B1+
- B2-Intermediate+ — B2
- B3-Intermediate++ — B2+
- C1-Advanced — C1 and C1+
- C2-Advanced+ — C2
- C3-Advanced++ — C2+
- D1-University — D2-University+
Choose stories at your level, so you can understand and enjoy stories. As you read big, you can naturally move up levels.